Art in the Open 2018
Art in the Open (AiO), presented through the PNC Arts Alive initiative, is a biennial citywide event that celebrates artists, their inspirations, and their relationships with the urban environment. The program, now entering its tenth year, was designed to shape community through art experiences that bridge the Philadelphia’s outdoor spaces, natural areas, and historic waterways for the enjoyment of the general public.
Join us from May 18 to 20, 2018 as a new group of up to 40 jury-selected artists and collaborative teams working in all media take to the Schuylkill River Trail, from the historic Fairmount Water Works to South Street, to develop artwork that will inspire new ways of seeing the river and the city it runs through.
From dawn until dusk over the course of three days, visitors of all ages are invited to witness new works of art evolve while engaging with a vibrant community of artists--in some cases becoming part of the creative process. Artists' working times will vary; most activity takes place between 9 am and 5 pm.
Partner organizations throughout Philadelphia are teaming up with AiO to extend the experience through a series of related programs leading up to and during the event, showcasing the vibrant community of working artists, galleries and institutions that make our City a major urban art center. Keep an eye on our Events Page for details on all of the action!
Mary Salvante, Curator and Gallery Director, Rowan University Art Gallery
Conrad Benner, Independent Curator, Founder and Editor, Streets Dept
Leroy Johnson, Philadelphia-based Mixed Media Artist
Alex Klein, Dorothy and Stephen R. Weber (CHE'60) Curator, Institute of Contemporary Art, University of Pennsylvania
Lead PartnersCity Parks Association Fairmount Water Works
AiO 2016 Artist BYO Print (Photo Credit: John C. Anderson)
We offer four great ways to get involved:
A. Visitor Services and Artist Support
B. Event Photography and Video Documentation
C. Family Day Support (May 19: 9-12pm or 12-3pm)
D. Special Program Support (limited openings)
Dates/shifts available: May 18, 19, and 20. 9-12pm, 12-3pm, 3-6pm.
You may include a first and second choice for a different job preference, or a work day/shift.
To sign up: please send your contact information, your first and second choice of working dates/shifts and job preference (A, B, C or D) to email@example.com
Art in the Open Partners
- Audubon Pennsylvania
- Clean Air Council
- Climate and Urban Systems Partnership (CUSP)
- Da Vinci Art Alliance
- Fairmount Park Conservancy
- Fleisher Art Memorial
- Free Library of Philadelphia
- Greater Philadelphia Cultural Alliance
- Institute of Contemporary Art
- Kimmel Center for the Preforming Arts / Philadelphia International Festival of the Arts
- Let's Go Outdoors
- LightBox Film Center at The International House
- Parkway Centennial / Parkway Council Foundation
- Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts
- Pennsylvania Intergrated Pest Management + The Franklin Institute
- Philadelphia Energy Authority
- Philadelphia Museum of Art (PMA)
- Philadelphia Water Department
- Philly Stewards
- Play on Philly
- Schuylkill Center for Environmental Education
- Schuylkill River Development Corporation
- The Rosenbach
- Tiny WPA
- University City Arts League