Art in the Open Philadelphia, May 16-18, 2014
Art in the Open (AiO) is a citywide event that celebrates artists, their inspirations for creating art, and their relationships with the urban environment. Art in the Open debuted in June 2010, bringing a jury-selected group of artists to the Schuylkill Banks - from the historic Fairmount Water Works to Bartram's Garden - to inspire new ways of seeing the river and the city it runs through. Each Spring, a new group of artists is chosen to for a three day event, creating new works of art outside, in a creative process open to everyone.
The public is encouraged to participate in Art in the Open by visiting often during the three-day event, to see the works of art evolve and talk with the artists about their creative process. By actively engaging with AiO, you become part of that process - shifting ideas of the art audience, and as part of the environment the artists are considering, influencing how the art take shape. Artists' working times will vary with their project's particular needs; most activity takes place between 9 am and 5 pm.
Partnering civic and cultural organizations throughout Philadelphia also offer extensive opportunities for public engagement with the event, showcasing the vibrant community of working artists, galleries and institutions that make Philadelphia a major Urban Art Center, and its two rivers: waterways which continue to inspire creative response and also serve as an ecologically critical lifeline for its residents.
Illustration: Work by Josh Harris, Art in the Open 2014. Photo © Karen Jenkins
2014 Participating Artists
Nancy Agati, Noemi Armstrong, Aaron Asis, Susan Benarcik, Harry Bower, Ellen Brooks, Lewis Colburn, Barbara Gesshel, Chris Esposito and Matt Greco, Josh Harris, Kaitlin Pomerantz and John Broderick Heron, Heejin Jang, Tom Judd, Eun Hye Kang, Tyler Kline, Aaron Lish, Adam Lovitz, C. Pazia Mannella, William Oliwa, Ana Vizcarra Rankin, Sandy Sorlien, Robert Stark, Mat Tomezsko, Andrew Walker, Nina Weiss, Susan Wilson, Wendy Wolf
Illustration: Work by Mat Tomezko, Art in the Open 2012. Photo © Mary Foley
Please click on the below link for a complete list of past participating artists.
Download: aio_artists_2010-2014.pdf (211.7 KB)
Wednesday July 23, 2014
Join us for "Open Channels: An Art in the Open Exhibition," at the Center for Emerging Visual Artists Gallery, from June 7 - July 31 with ...
Wednesday July 23, 2014
InLiquid members and AiO 2014 artists Nancy Agati, Susan Benarcik, Babara Gesshel, Tyler Kline, C. Pazia Mannella, Ana Vizcarra Rankin and Mat Tomezsko, along with ...
Saturday July 26, 2014
Come out to the Schuylkill Center for Environmental Education for the official unveiling of Maggie Mills, B.H. Mills, and Marguerita Hagan's completed installation ...
Art in the Open Partners
- Alie + the Brigade
- Art in City Hall
- Association for Public Art
- Bartram's Garden
- Bicycle Coalition of Greater Philadelphia
- Center City Residents' Association
- City of Philadelphia Department of Parks and Recreation
- City of Philadelphia Mural Arts Program
- City of Philadelphia Office of Arts, Culture and Creative Economy
- City Parks Association (CPA)
- Dance Up
- Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission
- Fairmount Park Conservancy
- Fairmount Water Works
- Fleisher Art Memorial
- Franklin's Paine Skate Park
- Greater Philadelphia Cultural Alliance
- Independence Seaport Museum
- International House of Philadelphia
- Kidical Mass Philadelphia
- Logan Square Neighborhood Association
- Moms Clean Air Force
- Moore College of Art and Design
- Museum Without Walls
- Painted Bride Art Center
- Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts
- Pennsylvania Horticultural Society
- Philadelphia Art Alliance
- Philadelphia Museum of Art (PMA)
- Philadelphia Sculptors
- Schuylkill Banks
- Schuylkill Center for Environmental Education
- Science Leadership Academy
- South of South Neighborhood Association
- The Center for Emerging Visual Artists (CFEVA)
- University of Pennsylvania
- Schuylkill River Heritage Area